NCCER Core Curriculum - Introduction to Skilled Trades
NCCER provides instructional pathways for craft/trade education and certification, awarding nationally recognized credentials for students who learn, master and demonstrate a level of proficiency in their craft, trade, or profession. Through standardized curricula and assessments in construction and maintenance, NCCER provides nationally recognized industry credentials in more than seventy craft areas. These credentials are recorded in NCCER’s Registry System that allows organizations and companies to track and verify the qualifications of craft professionals and prospective new hires. MGCC is an Accredited Training Sponsor for NCCER.
NCCER Core Curriculum is a prerequisite to all other Level 1 craft programs. With goals of establishing competence in the following topics, this introductory course provides the basic skills needed to continue on for certification in any NCCER craft:
- Hazard awareness and avoidance in construction/industrial conditions and environments.
- General construction math.
- Operating and caring for common hand tools, power tools, and rigging equipment/hardware.
- Referencing and interpreting typical construction blueprints and shop drawings.
- Soft skills, including communication, interpersonal and teambuilding skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Trainee Requirement Details
This is a twelve-week hybrid course with a required four-hour weekly classroom/lab period and online homework/activities to be completed before each class session. Textbooks, online access code, and all materials are included in tuition. No academic or experience prerequisites. Eighth-grade competence in reading and mathematics is recommended.
Successful completion of this course will award the following credentials:
- NCCER Construction Site Safety Orientation Credential
- NCCER Core Credential
FastForward Financial Assistance Funding
Qualifying Virginia residents may be eligible for FastForward financial assistance, which could reduce the cost of tuition by two-thirds.
For more information and to register, please contact:
Robin Jennings, FastForward Career Coach
Kylie Hendrickson, FastForward Career Coach